Jewish Voices for Peace Open House
January 8, 2017 - 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Concerned Central New Yorkers are invited to join the newly-forming Syracuse chapter of Jewish Voice for Peace. JVP is holding an open house at ArtRage. All those who want to anchor their work for peace and justice in a Jewish context are welcome to meet with us for an afternoon of sharing and community. Find out more on facebook.
A 5:30pm, December 28th Chanukah Vigil Against Islamophobia and Racism – in Clinton Square, downtown Syracuse (in front of the big Menorah) – is one of at least 29 similar actions coordinated nationally by Jewish Voices for Peace. There are eight principles which will be shared on our signs, one for each night of the Chanukah holiday.
1. We will not be silent about anti-Muslim and racist hate speech and hate crimes.
2. We condemn state surveillance of the Muslim, Arab, and South Asian communities.
3. We fully stand with the Vision for Black Lives platform.
4. We protest the use of Islamophobia and anti-Arab racism to justify Israel’s repressive policies against Palestinians.
5. We fight anti-Muslim profiling and racial profiling in all forms.
6. We call for an end to racist policing.
7. We support indigenous rights and the resistance led by the Standing Rock Sioux Nation to protect their land and water.
8. We welcome Syrian refugees and stand strong for immigrants and refugees’ rights.